Thursday, May 22, 2008

Blog Four: Music

Music has changed over the past 100 years in the sense that it used to be largely played in front of live audiences before recorded music existed. Upon the arrival of recorded music, the Nickelodeon and Vitrola made it possible to hear recorded music by inserting a coin into a mechanical device. In the 20's, the radio play of music led to a decline in record sales. Today, music is largely associated with the internet in the form of MP3's, itunes, ipods, and music sharing programs such as LimeWire or Napster. Music has remained the same in the sense that it touches people on a personal and emotional level and has remained a significant aspect in many peoples lives. Although the mediums through which music is broadcasted have changed drastically, the purpose of music has proven unchanged. It is a source of entertainment that is more easily accessible than ever before. Radio first started off with just two or three channels and now offers several hundred different channels that targets a very specific audience.
Music has always been an extremely important aspect in my life. I don't really enjoy the pop music that is popular today, instead I like to listen to jam bands, classic rock, bluegrass, and electronic music. One of my favorite things to do is go to music festivals and concerts because live music is so much more enjoyable than listening to your favorite bands in a studio. I pretty much am constantly listening to music whether its in the car, in my bedroom, at work, or walking to class. Although, I probably watch more television than I listen to music, I think that music has a stronger impact on my life because going to concerts are truly one of my favorite activities.
Article Link: http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/05/21/david-cook-crowned-season-sevens-american-idol/

This article discusses the hit show American Idol and the winner, David Cook, who was decided last night. This show is a contest to see who will be the next huge popstar. It has been extremely popular in recent years, and many of the previous contestants have become very successful in the months following the show.

No comments: