Thursday, June 5, 2008

Blog Seven: Media and Politics

I have always felt confused about politics, even as I get older and become more educated. I have never felt that I have a firm grasp on what's going on in the world and which political agendas are more desirable than others. It's not that I don't care about politics, I just feel like most politicians operate by self-serving interests, either to themselves or their party, rather than the interests of the country as a whole. In terms of media, I am embarrassed to say that I have a very limited knowledge of politics in the media. The only real media exposure I've had for the 2008 elections is by seeing the candidates on SNL or Ellen and various other talk shows. I have never sat down to watch any of their debates or watched CNN to gather more information about any of them. I like that the candidates for the 2008 elections have made an effort to reach out to young people who are more likely to not participate in voting. It is easier to relate to these strangers when you see them on a talk show when they are not being so serious. It allows you to get to know them on a more personal level and shows you other aspects to their personality. I have seen a lot more commercials and media exposure to Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama than I have the Republican nominees. I think this is because the media is really taking advantage of the fact that the Democrat candidate will be either a woman or an African American. As the time for the ballot to be cast comes closer, I find myself thinking that Obama would be the best president. Even though I have not paid close attention to any of the candidates agendas, I think that he is the best public speaker and has been able to gain a rapport with his audiences which is imperative in this position. He appears to be trustworthy and to me, that is the most important quality in our next president.

No comments: